Tuesday, October 4, 2016

A Community Effort

In July, my father-in-law was severely burned in a fire he was helping fight on the neighbor's place.  His tractor quit while he was disking a fire break.  He bailed out and ended up getting burnt on 22% of his body.  While he was recovering in the burn center in Minnesota the neighbors gathered together and harvested his wheat.  It was a very moving experience.

I have to admit it wasn't the introduction to the neighborhood that Darren and I wanted.  We hoped to glide in under the radar and just appear at some point.  This was a bit more exciting.  Darren was even interviewed for the local news.  I want to stress that Darren and I never wanted it to be about us.  We wanted the stories and the credit to be about those who were the heroes of the day.  The neighbors who brought their combines, tractors, grain carts, balers, semi trucks, and the ladies and Farm Bureau who brought the food.  They are small town heroes with big hearts.




























 We even had two local fire departments come just to be ready in case of a fire.


















A long day.  
A light load thanks to the many, many hands who helped us.

To the neighbors who helped - A simple "Thank you!" is not enough.  There are no words to show how much your kindness and willingness to help meant to Darren and I.  I wish I would have been able to meet all of you and tell you in person how much you were appreciated.  


No comments: