Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Its all relative

Yesterday I took Brech to the doctor for his well baby checkup. The first question the doctor asked me was "Are you getting any sleep?" Talk about throw me for a loop. I expected - how's he eating? is he crawling? is he standing? but NEVER asking me if I was getting sleep. I simply answer "Well, yah I guess." What I really wanted to say was this...

Its really quite proportional to the situation. If I was 22 and out partying Friday and Saturday nights, working a simple full-time job and all that thang then I would probably say "No, I'm not getting enough sleep." It takes a lot to maintain a healthy 22 year old lifestyle.

BUT I'm a 30 year old mother of 5 boys who gets up 2-3 times every night. I know full well that the only ways I would get more sleep are, but not limited to:
1. drink some beer, etc. until I was sleepy
2. take some type of medication
3. completely ignore the pleas of my baby or
4. lock myself in a room all by myself with a fan going so I hear nothing.

At this point the only answer, being the somewhat responsible mother I like to appear to be, could only be "Yah." I am blessed to be able to take a nap here and there on slow days. Then most every Saturday morning I get to sleep in an extra hour or so while Darren feeds the boys pancakes or waffles. Besides, I can sleep when the kids are grown and I become their problem! HA

No comments: