Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Names That Never Were

Did I ever tell you that I thought the twins were boys?  Seriously - I thought throughout the entire pregnancy that they were boys.  In fact, I was a bit shocked when it was announced they were girls.  Didn't see that one coming!!

We put some time into picking names for the twins.  The girl names were names we liked.  I honestly didn't expect we'd need them so picking the girl names was easy.  Come to think of it - picking the boy names were easy too.

Had the girls been boys their names would have been either:

Mitchell Jerome

or

Henry (Hank) Knute


I bet you are wondering why those names.  I actually loved those names with the exception of  "Hank".  It was gonna grow on me of course.  I really never liked the name Rex until I had one.  (insert loving smile here)  I even suggested to Darren we nickname Kiara "Hank".  He didn't go for that.

Let me explain their name meanings.

Mitchell - this was Darren's dad's last name until Grandma Sally married Grandpa Jerry Gebes.

Jerome - this one has many reasons - first, Darren's middle name; second, Darren's Grandpa Gebes' first name; third, my brother Loman's middle name who is named after our uncle Jerry.

Henry "Hank" - this was Grandpa Jerry Gebes' brother's first name.  Hank and George (another brother of Jerry's) were quite the duo in their day.  I was told you can't have a George (Stephen's middle name) without a Hank.  Please remember Uncle George in your prayers as he passed away this week.  He will be missed, though I'm sure Hank and him are up to their tricks in heaven.

Knute - this is part of Darren's mom's maiden name, Knutson.  There is a Saint Canute that is also spelled Knute at times.

So now you know the story behind the names that never were.

No comments: