Friday, August 8, 2014

Pharrell Williams Kind of Night

Some of you are asking who is Pharrell Williams.  He is the creative mind behind the Despicable Me song that talks about having a bad, bad day.  He is also the creative mind behind the Despicable Me 2 song talking about being happy.  I had a Pharrell Williams kind of night last night.

It started like this....I wanted to put my feet up.  A simple, much needed request after a long day chasing kids and cleaning.  Funny how when Mom wants to put up her feet every other set of feet disappears during dishes.  I didn't complain because I was going to put my feet up when I was done.  What's another 15 minutes?  I could handle it.

Then the trouble started.  I hadn't even finished the dishes when the onset of eight frustrating situations happened one after another...boom, boom, boom....keep it coming...boom, boom, boom...not done yet...boom, boom.

1st - the kids came upstairs saying there was water on the floor in the boys' room.

2nd - the water was actually coming from the hole in the floor in the furnace room.  I sucked up the water in that room as best as I could with the carpet cleaner.

2nd continued - on the way from the furnace room to the bedroom I had to let the carpet cleaner sit on the carpet so I could move something out of the way.  The carpet cleaner leaked rusty water that I had just sucked up onto the floor.  I had to clean the carpet in that area thanks to that.

3rd - the mattress on the floor was soaked with water so I needed to find a place to set it up and put a fan on it.  This is, of course, because a soaked floor is not enough.  Real patience takes adding a mattress on top of that.

4th - the fan was missing a nut on one side so when I went to grab it it fell apart.  I had to go out to Darren's shop to find a nut to hold it together.  There again, you need a little help to gain patience properly.

5th - I was making apple pie in the oven during all of this.  I had to keep checking them between sucking up water and finding nuts.  One of the times I tried to open the oven door it fell apart.  The handle came off, then the top fell off that holds the decorative door and the actual door together, then the decorative door came apart from the real door, and finally the decorative door fell out of its holder on the door frame.  The whole time the oven is still on.  I'm yelling for a little assistance because if I let go of the decorative door frame it would fall down towards the floor and it kept making breaking/bending noises I didn't think it was suppose to make, so I kept holding it.  (Yes, I turned off the oven by this point.)  With Blase's help I managed to get the door put back together without burning myself or him.

6th - it was at this point that the water started coming back up in the furnace room.  Down I raced to man the one-woman clean up crew.  This time I thought I would be "smart" (second mistake of the night, but not quite as bad as wanting to put up my feet) and attach the hose to the carpet cleaner and suck up the water from the actual hole instead of waiting until it spilled over.  I have never used the hose attachment before.  I figured I should hook up both parts.  I didn't realize that the little hose just attaches to the soap dispenser and that it builds up pressure as you use it, even when you don't squirt soap out.  You know what's going to happen.  I am sure you can see it a mile away.  I can't see anything at this point.  I just want this problem gone, NOW.  So I finish getting the water sucked up and take off the hose.  Then I pop off the soap attachment part not even thinking and BOOM pressurized liquid carpet cleaning soap covers my face and the top of my head.  I am literally dipping in soap.  When the soap is running down your forehead the only option is a shower of course.  (I just wanted to put my feet up....put my feet..up.)

7th - the apple pies burnt.  The apple pie part tasted fine itself, but it bubbled over to the point that I couldn't get the little jars off the foil on the cookie sheet.  I dumped them into a bowl and will start all over today.  Bonus in this particular problem is that the kids will be having apple pie for breakfast.

8th - the overly-baked, burned-on apple pie syrup had become razor sharp I found out after the fact.  I was trying to get the foil off the bottom of one of the jars and ended up cutting the top of my left pointer finger.  It was at that point I decided I was having a bad, bad day.

So I sang - I'm having a bad, bad day.  It's about time that I get my way.....

Then I laughed, sorta like a person who has lost their mind and sorta like a person who is punch drunk, and started singing...

Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do

I never did put my feet up.  Today, as I get ready for the party tonight, I will keep my feet firmly planted on the ground and no where near "up".  Today is a happy day....because I'm happy.

No comments: