Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Homeschool Mom's Retreat

I was blessed to attend the 2nd annual Homeschooling Mom's Retreat at Maryvale Convent.  I was honored to be asked to help lead this year's retreat.
 We used a lovely retreat (tweaked for our preferences) called Emptying Your Cup.

 Our lovely front display.
 The book and quote table.

 I was the "Presenter" of the retreat.
 Kristin was our wonderful "Guardian Angel" of the retreat.

 Suzie was the amazing "Prayer Leader" of the retreat.
 We had time for pondering and small journaling sections.

 Even a little nap here or there.

 We also had time for 30-minute spiritual direction sessions with either a priest or a sister.
 Sister Dorothy was able to give us another talk again this year.  Her topic exactly matched our retreat even though she hadn't seen what we were doing before that day.  We didn't get a picture of Fr. Mulligan, though his talk was exactly what we were "retreating" about as well.
 Can you believe how lucky I was?? Seriously - my neck felt wonderful after this.
 We had a peaceful blessingway, blessing our way back to our families.
Then we took those quotes or affirmations and made little cards which we put together on key rings.

I came back a happier, holier mom for all of ten minutes.  I guess I probably should have known that Sunday afternoon/evenings are hectic anyway so why was I expecting any other outcome.  The peace I had left in a severe case of overwhelmed motherhood. Even Monday was harsh and I spent most of it crying trying to recover from being gone for three days.  I finally calmed down and was able to restore myself to the peace I felt at the retreat.  I was also able to put into practice some of the things I learned.  I hope and pray that I can make it to next year's retreat.  I think every mommy should go on one retreat a year - maybe two a year.  Ok, maybe once a month....even if it is just dessert and coffee with the friends!

No comments: