Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Little sis all grown up

I was thinking about my sister Mauri the other day. She is a beautiful woman who will soon be married. I look upon her as an equal in age (maybe not in cooking skills though ha ha), but it wasn't always that way.


This is a picture of us taken in December 1991. She would have been just over a year old and I was almost 13 years old. That is quite an age difference for two sisters to share a room. She was into EVERYTHING. She loved painting with my fingernail polish and getting into my makeup. I had to laugh when she shared a room with our two younger sisters and had the exact same complaints I had against her. Funny how that happens! :-)

Mauri has always been there to help me when I need it. She spent a month with me after Cormac was born and I was battling PPD. When we have visited SD, she was/is willing to help babysit so I can have a night or two away from the boys. She even patiently handled being asked to be a Godmother to Rex and then unasked as we couldn't have her be one after all. She did however get to be Godmother to Brech.

As far as sisters go, Mauri is the best of the best (Bestgens). She is such a sweet person and always full of fun. I still want to think of her as a little girl, so it has been almost hard to think she is getting married. She is still suppose to be that baby I spilled hot chocolate on when she was still very tiny. She should still be 5 years old and claim my boyfriend as her own. She can't possibly be old enough to be married and having her own children!!! Boy am I getting old!

Like I said before - I look upon her as closer to my age. I think she would tell you that comes from me acting younger than I should. There have been many times that people have confused me as the younger sister and her as the responsible, older sister. In many regards - I would venture to guess they are right. ;-)

So little sister, as you prepare for your wedding day...know that I am proud of the woman you have become and the sister you have always been. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you start your own family. May God shower you with many graces as you become Mrs. Sobotka.

Myself and Mauri - all grown up
well, maybe a little grown up

3 comments:

Mauri said...

ah thanks Karen :) you almost made me cry! lol i'm getting better at cooking..baking is kinda where i become successful, noones about that tho because its always gone before coming out of the oven :) your such a sweetheart. thanks for the incouragement! Love you!!

Unknown said...

You both are extremely compassionate to others and have beautiful hearts. I am so proud of you both for the women you have become. By the way could the two of you clean up the corner your sitting in and shovel the snow away from the window? Love you both.

Karen said...

Oh Mom, you know I'd clean that corner if I was closer to home. Honestly, I'd probably get in trouble for cleaning too much - been known to happen before. As for the snow, I think one of the boys needs a workout!