Friday, January 15, 2010

Simple livin'

I have always wanted to live a simpler life. I look at the Amish lifestyle and wonder what it would be like to be that simple. Its hard work no doubt, but it must be rewarding at the same time. I honestly don't think I could ever go quite that simple as that would mean giving up the computer, movies, electricity in general and I'm just not that brave.

There are a few things I do to make it feel more simple around here, and to save money. I'd LOVE to make more homemade bread, but it usually goes to waste as Darren and I are the only ones who would eat it. I need to find a good recipe for easy, small loaves of bread. Darren did buy me a bread stone for Christmas. I suppose that is a hint.

One of the other things I'd love to do is cook healthier from scratch. I can do it and have done it in the past, but the boys are such picky eaters. I have begun to take on a more intense "You eat what I serve or go hungry!" attitude when it comes to meal time. I am slowly phasing out processed foods - slowly is the key word. I may accomplish it when Blase graduates from high school!!!

One thing I do and enjoy doing is sewing my own skirts. I haven't learned or attempted sewing my own shirts, but if ever I find a good pattern I'll give it a try. I do have a wonderful apron pattern I have gotten as far as cutting out the material. That is my next project.

The other thing I enjoy doing is making my own laundry detergent. I can't even remember where I got this recipe, but it was a GREAT website!! I have found that it cleans our clothes very well and is easy to make.

Laundry Detergent Powder
1 bar grated Fels Naptha
1 cup baking soda
1 cup Borax

Mix together, store in an airtight container. Use 1 tablespoon per load, adding to water before clothes.


Do you make your own laundry detergent?? I'd like to know and have your recipe. Send me ideas for living simpler, recipes and of course your favorite "go to" websites. THANKS!!!

2 comments:

Kateri said...

I make make miniature loaves of bread when I bake, since neither my husband or I are big bread eaters, but we both love home made bread occasionally. I actually make a full batch of dough, let it rise once, then put a loaf or two in my mini bread pans to bake. The rest are formed into loaves, wrapped with plastic wrap and put in the freezer. Then the next time I want home made bread I just have to take a loaf out to thaw and rise and bake. :)

Having grown up sort of like the Amish, I can honestly say I enjoyed a lot of aspects of it, and must admit I miss a lot of things about that lifestyle. But it certainly wasn't stress free, and like you say, it was a lot of hard work.

Amber Dawn said...

I make my own laundry soap too. They carry all the ingredients at Ace Hardware but I only buy my washing soda there. I buy all the rest at Wal-Mart. There's a bunch of different recipes out there but here's what I do:
1 Cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Baking Soda
1 Cup Borax
1/2 Cup OxyClean... See More
2 Cups Dove Unscented Soap (or Ivory)

I grate the soap in my food processor and then change it to the blending blade. Then I just dump everything else in and blend it until it's a nice smooth texture. When using it I use the OxyClean scoop - 2 Tbls and that seems to do the trick. I would double the recipe but this is all that my food processor can handle. It's super easy to wash up afterwards since it's all just soap anyway ;-)

I've been meaning to get this to you sooner but I just finally got to it :-)
Amber