Thursday, January 28, 2010

Solo

Have you ever imagined what a pilot must feel like on their first solo flight? There must be a bit of fear, tons of excitement and determination to succeed, right? My husband is fishing this weekend with his buddies from work. I'm flying solo with 5 boys.

Fear - CHECK
Excitement - CHECK
Determination to succeed - CHECK CHECK

Even though I have done many week long solo "flights" without Darren, I find myself always a bit hesitant when he leaves. I wonder about the what ifs and the could happens and the AHH OHHH NOOOOOO's that DO happen. In the end its always just fine and I always make it through.

It is good for Darren to get away from us. It helps all of us to have him gone. He relaxes and has a good time, which he deserves more often. I just hope he misses us at some point when the fish aren't biting. It is good for the rest of us too because we can feel the emptiness that comes with Darren being gone. I learn to appreciate Darren's helpfulness and miss his company. That is always good for a wife to realize.

When he returns later in the weekend there will be hugs and kisses from all. Blase will ask if Darren had any luck and Stephen will want to know how many and how big. Cormac will show Darren a trick he learned (hopefully not at the expense of my furniture). Rex will try whatever Cormac does. Brech will run around and scream like the rest of them, trying to be big too. And what about me...I will take a deep breathe, hug my husband, kiss him sweetly, open a beer and head for a nice, LONG, hot bath. My reward for flying solo and succeeding.

No comments: