Sunday, July 25, 2010

Birds and Cicadas

Here are the boys' latest treasures. I love it when they find a treasure, but sometimes I'm not too thrilled with what they want to keep. For instance - Stephen found this nest, baby bird and egg. I let him keep the nest, but NOT the birds. He was disappointed.

Stephen with his nest. His collection officially numbers three this year. He also has an empty hornet nest. Hummm...patience is a good thing when you have boys who collect EVERYTHING!
The poor little birds. I have to admit this was a cool science lesson.
Blase found these cidcadas on one of our trees out from. We were impressed with the one above. He made me stay as a lookout while he ran for the camera. He was certain it would fly away before we were able to take a picture.
This is one we found on the other side of the same tree. There were between 7-10 empty cicada skins. We have found them on flower leaves, trees and just on the ground. Last year Stephen, Cormac and Rex collected over 30 of them in one day. NO I did allow them to keep all of them. We already have one cicada skin and that is enough for me!

No comments: