Saturday, May 18, 2019

I Got a Job

Where have I been?  I know I was going to update the blog more.  So where have I been.

WORKING - part-time (ish) for:


I was hired in February as the Listener Relationships Coordinator for Real Presence Radio in the Black Hills area.  I also added on Gillette to my responsibility because there is no LRC in that area and I'm the closest.  This was not something I was looking for or even thought should be on my radar.  Darren helped on the banquet committee while I was in North Carolina last October.  Mike (who is my boss) sent out an email with a job description that had "Karen should apply for this job because it was made for her," written all over it.  It truly was tailor-made for me.  I had completed many similar tasks in volunteer positions or for family.  It was going to be easy in a lot of ways.

Darren said he thought I should apply.  I met Mike at the banquet and we had a quick conversation that helped me immediately know I could work for him and with him without any problems.  I told him I was thinking about applying for the position.  I also talked to Steve (the big boss as Gianna needs me to reference him to keep it all straight) and found out some more details.  It was a part time position with hours ranging from 10-20 hours a week.  It seemed very likely I could still homeschool the kids as most of it would be on phone and weekends.

I prayed about the position for a couple of days.  It was the beginning of December so the stress of holidays was coming up and I wanted to either apply or walk away by then.  It seemed to me that every time I prayed about it I gained more peace.  I would be praying and words would come to me that I should include in the resume. Wait - now that is a goofy thing!!  ME writing a resume?!  Shortest thing ever!  Karen = homeschooling mom, wife, homemaker for 18 years.  Done.  Talk about easy until Darren said it wasn't enough.  Then I had to actually THINK about what I had accomplished.  I learned one thing, one really big thing....I am NEVER applying for another job that requires a resume.  End of story.  It went from easy to the most stressful thing I have attempted in forever!  Darren was great about helping me.  I'd say, "How come I can't use complete sentences?"  Or maybe, "Now I do USE complete sentences!" Resume writing is wonkey like the donkey.  I finally put together an adequate portrayal of myself and emailed it off to Mike and Steve.  Then I forgot about.  Honestly.  I was filled with so much peace.  I knew God wanted me to step outside my comfort zone and apply for the job.  I didn't need to know if He wanted me to have it.  I had gained an amazing, long-term peace.  I was truly living "Let go, let God."

A couple of days later (I think), Mike calls me up and wanted to set up a job interview.  I must have sounded like an idiot because I had forgotten I had applied for the job.  It took me a few seconds to catch on what he was talking about. (Face palm!)  They were coming to Rapid City the end of January and wanted to interview me for the position.  Sweet.  Okay.  Sure.  Back of my mind I'm thinking they must be desperate. I had read my own resume.  I probably wouldn't have hired me. 

January interview came.  I was a bit nervous, but not really.  I was more concerned about what I would do if I actually got the job.  Thinking about logistics, time management, eight kids in school, food, laundry, when will I sleep, and a million other "what if's" that kept holding me down.  One word - overwhelmed.  There was a banquet committee follow up meeting just before my interview.  It was the first time I had met those people.  They were a good team and I hope they are willing to help again.  Having that meeting before my interview also helped me relax.  Mike and Steve were going to interview me and I was already comfortable with them by the end of the banquet committee meeting.

Mike started walking me through what I would have to do as a Listener Relationships Coordinator.  It seemed like something I was able to do.  Even standing up in front of a whole parish and giving a talk - not a problem if I have a script.  The one thing I noticed that had changed was the hours were 10-30 hours.  WHOA!  That's a big difference!  They explained that during the busy seasons before the fundraiser and banquet it would require more hours.  Okay.  Got that.  Phew.  Move on.  The interview itself was painless.  I found out I was the only applicant.  (Worst and best candidate all in one - PRESSURE!)  Mike said to think about it and they'd contact me.  I suggested they find someone else to interview before deciding.  LOL  Steve said they pray for the right person to come along and leave it in God's hands.  What an example of trust!! 

I honestly thought I'd have a week to think about it.  The next morning I received a call from Mike offering me the job.  What, wait.  Huh?  I decided I should probably take the job.  Darren wanted me to have the job and the kids all said they would step up even more and handle chores, cooking, childcare of the twins, and whatever else needed to happen.  The whole family was willing to take on this job as a mission to help the radio station.

I'm going to just say right now that I could not have had this job from the start without Darren, Blase, Stephen, Cormac, Rex, Brech, Gianna, Brigid, and Kiara supporting me, helping me, and working harder at home.  They are amazing when I need to be gone or working.  If I have succeeded at this job credit needs to go to them for taking the home front responsibilities upon themselves.   I can't do both aspects of my life at the same time and do them well.  They know that if I am working they need to step up their game and they do.  Truly a family mission!

So I started working in February.  It was five hours a week to begin with then moved into more hours.  There was a point where I had worked 75 hours in 9 days, being gone for 7 of those days.  I missed Gianna's birthday and no one held it against me.  The house was clean, the kids were bathed, the school was mostly completed...maybe I should work full-time?!?!  

More about this job later - but that's your introduction to why I have been missing in action on the blog.  I've finally figured out how to balance wife, mother, teacher, cleaner, listener relationships coordinator, friend, co-worker, and the other hats I wear.  Now I can pick up the blogger hat again just in time for gardening season and summer loveliness! 

No comments: