Friday, February 26, 2010

Hats

I wear many hats, figuratively speaking. I would like a real hat for every figurative one, but my family thinks I'm odd enough as it is. :-) Hats...they come in many shapes and sizes, colors and materials. Hats have many purposes, be they practical or just for looks. Figuratively speaking, once again, the list of a mom's job responsibilities reads like a hat catalog. There are some that are just for looks, but mostly they are practical. They come in all sizes and never seem to END.

During Lent I usually spend a portion of the 40 days de-cluttering my house. I get rid of what we no longer use and I organize what happens to be laying around. I also spend some of the time rethinking the way we do something. For example, maybe I don't like the way the toys are always out so I come up with a plan to eliminate that stress from our lives. It might come in the form of a new toy swap routine or possibly getting rid (gasp, heaven forbid we part with our toys!!!) of a few here and there.

As I was pondering my de-cluttering plan for this Lenten season I couldn't help but examine my figurative hat collection. YES, I need de-cluttering. My goals need de-cluttering. My interests need de-cluttering.

Catholic Hat - This hat tends to be wore all day and all night. I think its more like a beanie that never comes off. Prayers and instructing the kids, growing my own spiritual life and mentoring to others - it never stops. I would like to read more and learn more. Before that I should make sure the boys are learning more. Before that I should pray. Before that...oh there is nothing before that. School time. SWITCH HATS

Teacher Hat - I'm planning on creating file folder games in the near future. Before that I must finish the matching games I printed off, cut out and laminated for the little boys. Before that I need finish cutting them out. Before that I need to finish teaching for the day. Why is no one coming when I call??? SWITCH HATS

Mom Hat - I am planning on working on my patience level with the boys in regards to their faults. I need to train them the right way and not just expect my yelling or nagging to actually do anything but harm. Before that I want to read up on character traits and how to develop them properly. Before that I need to have the time to read. Before that I need to analyze my boys and see where each one has a weakness (or ten). Before that I need to clean the house. SWITCH HATS

Housekeeper Hat - I have a pretty good system for keeping the house clean and under control. Even the laundry is somewhat kept up. I would like to update our daily/monthly/yearly cleaning charts as they were for the last house which we moved away from a LONG time ago. I would like to do some more research on making my own cleaning products and how to save money. Before all of that I actually have to clean the house and have a moment to spare. Before that I should come up with a plan for supper. Before that I should teach school. SWITCH HATS

Teacher Hat again - opps dirty diaper SWITCH HATS
Mom Hat again - ok, done oh poop I should take out the garbage SWITCH HATS
Housekeeper Hat again - done now its lunch time NO WAY we just started our day SWITCH HATS

Chef Hat - I had started a weekly menu list, complete with shopping list for that week, some time ago. I finished 4 weeks and it worked very well when I used it. I have another 5 weeks left to type up. Before I do that I want to research some healthier recipes to try. Before that I should organize my cookbooks, both e-book and true book. Before that I should just make lunch and think up a supper plan. Before that I should just stop and hug the boys because half the day is gone and all I have managed to do is juggle hats. SWITCH HATS

Mom Hat again - hugs all around and kisses for those who will allow such affections. Gee, boys can be so particular when they grow up. :-)

Teacher Hat again - school is almost done
Housekeeper Hat again - laundry and picking up the house before Darren comes home
Mom Hat again - hugs to the baby who fell off the chair

Wife Hat - Darren is home. I really want to be a good wife. I try and try. I do read books and blogs and listen to audios telling me how to be a better wife. Before that I should listen more. Before that I should have more patience. Before that I should forgive more. Before that I should love more. Before that I should actually attempt to focus on him. Sometimes it is so hard to put the husband before the house and the kids. Supper time. SWITCH HATS

Actually - its more like a stack of hats now. Chef hat, housekeeper hat, mom hat, wife hat and even a teacher hat in there at times. Suppertime can be a good time.

Prayers and bed...ahh quiet.

This is me time. Which hat to wear? Should I put on my Creative Hat and so some cross stitching? How about my Seamstress Hat and finish that apron that is 75% done. Or what about my Herbalist Hat (well, its more like the start of a hat) and read up on the benefits of garlic. I do like my Relaxation Hat, so maybe I'll grab a good book and take a hot bath. Maybe I should put on my Teacher Hat again and finish cutting out the matching cards for the boys. Or the Blog, Blog, Blog Hat (which is sorta like a Blab, Blab, Blab Hat) and post some worthless to most post. Housekeeper Hat? Nah, just let the mess stay until tomorrow. Wife Hat? Ummm...sounds great and probably the best option.

I GOT IT! I know which hat to wear. NONE OF THEM. GO TO BED, SLEEP, GET UP and start again tomorrow. Another day, another juggling show.

Yes, I need to de-clutter. But where to start??? As I ponder that I will be accepting applications for a housekeeper, teacher, mother's helper, chef and spiritual director. I must point out you will not be paid and the hours will be long. Sounds great huh?? Ahhh...my Blarney Hat is dusty, forgive me. The housekeeper hasn't had time to dust it this week. ;-)

1 comment:

Kateri said...

With being a mom you pretty much have to wear a lot of hats! :)