Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Library

Yesterday I did a brave thing. I took all five boys to the library AGAIN! Much to my surprise they behaved themselves again. I am beginning to think I should just take them into public more often. They found books, sat down and read them, quietly. Well, somewhat quietly. Rex was a bit loud at times, but hey - he found a dinosaur and couldn't keep it to himself!! "Mom, MOM, its ME, look its ME!!"

Even Brech was behaving himself. He was trying to read the books the bigger boys were and it wasn't going as well as he wanted. I took him over to the little board books shelf and he was quick to pick out a few. He would go sit down and read whatever book he found for about 30 seconds, then hop up and go get another. OH well...its a start.

The ladies at the library are so nice to us. The library started a website hold system so now I just request my books and they are ready to go when I get there. Makes my visit to the library SOOooo much nicer. There were Saturdays I'd spend an hour just finding books. They are much quicker than I am!!

I suppose I will have to make more of an effort to take the boys to the library. I don't mind going myself, but keeping track of 5 boys is interesting. I have a few rules to help me maintain my sanity. They may not leave the area with the children's books. They are to remain quiet. They are NOT to take out too many books at a time. In fact, they must show me what book they want and I help them to take it off the shelf. This helps me know what they are looking at and where it came from. The last rule is if they break any of the other rules, we get in the van and go directly home. They followed the rules yesterday and were each rewarded with a video of their choice. Even Brech tried to pick a video, but he picked one we already owned so we had to put it back. BOY was he MAD and did he break the rules after that!! heehee Thankfully we were just walking out the door anyway.

Blase's picks for the week: three Nate the Great books (one which was read on the way home)

Stephen's picks for the week: Atlas of the Ancient World and a huge Dinosaur book

Cormac's picks for the week: Look-Alikes Christmas, Can You See What I See? (both of those are like I Spy books), The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Rex's picks: 5 Thomas the Tank Engine books, 1 Dora book, 1 Diego book and 4 books about little mice (4 of my favorite children's books)

Brech's picks: a dinosaur I Spy book and a Peter Rabbit touch and feel book

I didn't pick out one book for myself. I have so many ones here I haven't read yet. I'm working on it though. In the last 3 weeks I have read 5 books with at least 350 pages in each.

Today's plan - school, laundry and movie from the library after school is done.

No comments: