Sunday, January 1, 2012

Are You Guilty?

There are two types of people I am thinking about right now. The people who make New Year's resolutions and the people who don't. Both types of people have something in common...they are both guilty of failing.

The person who makes a New Year's resolution is setting him/herself up for failure. I remember one year I was going to stop biting my nails. That lasted about 2 days. One year I was going to brush my teeth at least twice a day. That lasted 17 days before I was too tired one night. Some people say they will exercise. Some will want to learn something new. Others will try to break a bad habit. In most cases they are all excited to start, full of confidence, and sure to succeed.

The other type of person, who does not make a resolution, has already failed. The person who is satisfied with who they are and does not see the need to improve is, well, a very sad situation. I have yet to meet someone who does not need to work on at least one bad habit. Or maybe step outside their comfort zone to try something new, becoming a better person in the process. In most cases theses people are in a dull rut in life, seeing little value in bettering their situation.

I propose no one make a resolution this year. Why do something that you are going to fail at? Why even attempt to take a whole year to change something? Instead - take just today to change something. Everyday find something to improve or learn something new. If you take this one day at a time you will not fail. By not committing to one or two resolutions you have opened the door to whole new world of possibilities.

By taking this approach you will have to stop and take a good, hard look at yourself. For instance, if you examine your conscience every night you can see where you failed that day. Maybe you wasted too much time playing Facebook games in the evening. Maybe you ignored that pile of laundry that needed folding (for the 5th day in a row - yes I'm guilty!). So the next day instead of playing that game - fold the laundry! You have become a better person for that day. It is what we do with today that matters, not Day 258 of 2012.

If you aren't sure what you need improve on - ask a friend, ask your spouse, ask God. Someone will tell you. I am sure what you hear will not please you either. Its a very humbling experience to sit through someone telling you what you need improvement on.

I wish you a blessed year full of little daily successes. Do not give up. God blesses us with a new day every 24 hours. He gives us a bright sunrise to energize and inspire us. He gives us enough hours in a day to fulfill our obligations. Then, when we are tired, He gives us a beautiful, calming sunset to relax us into a peaceful sleep.

“Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew.” St. Francis de Sales

1 comment:

Kateri said...

I don't make resolutions, but I do have a few goals. That way, even if I meet them only half way, I will have partially succeeded. Does that count? :)