Sunday, May 28, 2017

2017 Garden

Apple Pie in the Sky
My garden is named Apple Pie in the Sky because I have "high hopes" for it.
 My garden has a mouse.  A cat's toy mouse to be specific. I find it in different parts of the garden depending on which way the wind blows.  I'm assuming it belongs to one of the cats.  It's falling apart though.  I'm not sure it will last the gardening season.
This is basically the garden before we planted.  You can't quite see the edges of it.
 I could be a bit busy this year because it is HUGE!
 We had a hard freeze coming on May 20th.  I covered everything that was up and green.  We used five-gallon buckets, boxes, tarps, sheets, coffee cans, and packing/moving blankets.
 I found out the next morning that the tarps were a bad idea.  Everything under them got a bit of freeze damage.  It was unexpected to say the least.  Everything under the plastic buckets or coffee cans also had freeze damage.  It was so much work to cover all the tomatoes (44 of them) and peppers (22 of them), and 6 rows of potatoes.
 Then a couple of days later there was another freeze warning.  So we covered everything up one more time.  This time I used only cardboard boxes and blankets or sheets.

I'm pretty sure I'm tired of gardening already!

No comments: