Friday, April 16, 2010

Happily Hidden

Have you ever thought it might be nice to be an expert at something? Maybe you know how to sew or garden or homeschool well enough, but imagine taking it to the next level. Could you handle it? I'm talking about the pressure of everyone seeing YOU, everyone listening to YOU, everyone modeling themselves after YOU. I have been thinking about that lately. I read lots of blogs and listen to lots of talks from people I consider my experts. They are everyday people who have done the extraordinary with what God has given them. I can tell that most, if not all, are humble and do not look upon themselves as extraordinary in any way.

There was a time when I thought I could handle being an "expert". I think that was 3 kids ago and not so many years of learning under my belt. I am finding that I enjoy being happily hidden in the world. Some of you may know I am writing a book for mothers with young children. Its a lives of the saints geared for very little kids (say preschool). It takes one aspect of the saint's life and applies it to an everyday grace or work of mercy. It isn't anything fancy, trust me. I don't intend for it to be a "New York Best Seller" type of work. If all goes as planned some people will know my name because of the book. I am not sure I could handle that. Maybe its the fact that I have normal kids who aren't saints (do I have a right to write a book that is suppose to help model our children after the saints??). Maybe its the fact that I am not a saint. I feel that God is calling me to write this book or something like it. What I'm not sure is if it is for my own family or for the general public.

My goal: write a book; stay happily hidden. Pondering the possibilities....

No comments: