Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February Prayers updated

This month's theme is Poor in Spirit. I was meditating on the idea of poor in spirit after hearing Father preach on the First Beatitude on Sunday. It accorded to me that we, as a family, could adopt a more "poor in spirit" attitude. So that prompted me use this as our theme for February.
.
I feel completely unqualified to even explain what poor in spirit truly means. I am hoping to do some reading on the Beatitudes this month and maybe learn a thing or two. I do know that what Father said on Sunday was inspiring and I wish you could have been there to hear it for yourself.
.
The prayer I have picked for us to recite in the mornings is for detachment from earthly things. That is a good place to start our quest for a truly poor in spirit attitude. We cannot focus on God with the things of this world tempting us for attention. It seems as though everything in my life is pointing to simplifying our lives and focusing on God. Every book I have read lately, every deep rooted inspiration has directly or indirectly led to "SIMPLIFY!" By simplifying I intend to eliminating our dependence on worldly things for joy and entertainment. While being poor in spirit does not directly refer to giving away your money and such, I feel that we need to purge our possessions so while not only being poor in spirit we are also poor in possessions.
.
Also, I am going to practice some early stages of humility. I am not sure I can reach the humility levels of the saints, but I will take baby steps to get there. Humility in my actions, in my thoughts and in my prayers. Baby steps. I will probably fall down, but I have a great Father watching out for me, ready to catch me and set me upright.
.
Please join us in this quest. Examine your life, your possessions and your priorities to see if you are practicing a poor in spirit attitude. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments: