Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Winged Visitors

We love our winged neighbors. This last couple of weeks we have been very lucky to see some fun birds up close. We usually see Black-capped Chickadees, Juncos and both types of Nuthatches on a daily basis. When something "new" comes around we tend to get very excited.
I hung a suet feeder in front of our kitchen window. Usually that is where we put one of our hummingbird feeders. We were lucky enough to see and get a picture of this lovely female Downy woodpecker. She came back and ate for a couple of days, but we haven't seen her since. Of course the Nuthatches and Chickadees have been dominating the feeder at all other times.
This is by far the most unexpected visitor so far this year. We never expected to actually SEE an owl, let alone get a picture. This is a Barred Owl - not sure if it is female or male though. I had seen it swoop down by the wood pile (mouse possibly?) and called the boys up as soon as it landed in a nearby tree. We watched it for quite awhile then I opened the back door to spook it. The boys were super excited to see it fly away. They talked wing-span and owl calls with their dad later that night. Just when I thought Darren had missed all the fun, he pointed out that he had seen a Great Horned Owl on our land a few times. Now I feel like I have missed out on something exciting. We have all heard the owls calling, but this is the first time the boys and I have seen one. How wonderful country life is!!

1 comment:

Kateri said...

You got a great photo of the downy wood pecker. I find that they are one of the friendlier birds, and I'm able to get quite close to them, but haven't been able to get a great photo yet. Yours is wonderful! Pretty cool that you saw an owl. It has been a long time since I've seen one!