Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Three Words

I have three words that might change your entire day. I'll get to that in a moment.

Am I correct in assuming you know who Archbishop Fulton Sheen is? If you do not know who he is then you are living in a dark age of ignorance! His wisdom is so simple that anyone can understand it. You really should watch one of his TV shows or read one of his books. Have you ever wanted to meet someone famous? I have always wanted to meet Archbishop Sheen. I was born a few decades too late for that, but I can't wait to meet him in heaven.

Darren and I enjoy listening to his talks and own quite a few of his recordings. We listened to one on our way to the Land of the Trolls last weekend. That is where I heard those three words.

Good

Morning

God

Archbishop Sheen pointed out that you can wake up in the morning and either say "Good morning God!" or say "Good God, morning!" You have no idea how those three words hit me like a board across the face. How many mornings or afternoons or evenings had I said "Good God, afternoon!" (or something similar). How many times had my day continued down the path of frustration because of my choice of words? I really pondered that. I could think of time after time that I had been upset at the boys or at myself and could have changed my whole afternoon by simply rearranging the words to say "Good afternoon God!"

I am a firm believer that God sends your way, just what you need to hear, at just the right time. You probably noticed that we had a busy Saturday. Sunday morning rolled around far earlier than I wanted it to. We had stayed up late, the little ones didn't sleep well, and since we were all tired it took longer for us to wake up. By the time Darren managed to get the boys and I up (which took 10 minutes) we had 15 minutes to get ready and be OUT the door for Mass. We leave about 6:30 AM. I was tired, grumpy, and that annoying headache I've been dealing with was present in full force.

The boys were still in bed when I "fell" out of my own bed. I was frustrated. Am I painting a clear enough picture of the building tension in the house?? Blase grabs Stephen's socks and throws them in the dirty clothes because he thinks they are from the day before. Stephen is upset because Blase took his socks. Blase won't touch the socks because they were in the dirty clothes hamper. I've lost it. I'm yelling at them to get dressed and knock it off. Rex won't get out of bed...I'm yelling at him to go to the bathroom. Cormac is daydreaming and not getting dressed. I'm at a boiling point.

Into the picture walks Darren, who had been lhunting down shoes for everyone. He tells me to just get dressed and worry about Gianna and Brech. I'm clutching my hands, gritting my teeth, boiling, boiling, boiling. Then a voice calls out to me from deep inside.....

Good morning, God.


I'm still boiling. It calls again.


Good morning, God.


YES I HEAR YOU. Boiling, boiling.


Good morning, God.


The voice never sounded harsh. It never got louder. It never ceased. I listened.


Good morning, God. Good morning, God.


Yes, it was a good morning. I calmed down. I listened to my husband and obeyed without a comment back (those of you who REALLY know me know that was a miracle huh?). We finished getting ready and made it out the door on time. When we got to church I went in early to check for a missal that was misplaced.

Good morning, God.

The voice tells me again. I hear it. I know what it means. I found Father and requested to go to confession. It was a good morning. What kind of morning would it have been if I had stubbornly stuck to my selfish "Good God, morning!" attitude??

Next time you have a bad moment think "Good morning, God!" I can guarantee your attitude will change and your day just might get better.

No comments: