Friday, March 9, 2012

New Adventure

As of today we are the very excited owners of twenty 5-year old bred cows ready to calf in the near future. Let's hope this is the start of a herd and not just a money pit. The boys are super excited, but not near as excited as Darren. Gianna and I requested that one of them be named Princess. Darren said he the first one to try to "take" my dad will be named Princess.

My dad is calving them out for us at his house. There is just something about 20 cows on a 2 acre lot when they don't even allow chickens here that just doesn't sound fun. I'm sure this arrangement will work out just fine.

This brings back memories of having bucket calves. I don't even remember all the names of calves we've had over the years back home. There were:
"Osh, Kosh, Bygosh"
"Rough" & "Ready" - these two calves were just as their names described as we found out the hard way after riding them around
"Larry", "Jason" and one other that year I can't remember but could have been "Sam"
"Pepsi" - because we fed him out of a Pepsi bottle
"Copper" - we used to ride him when he was pretty big
"Miss Buttercup" - this was Dirk's calf one year, I had one that year too, but can't remember its name I bet Mom remembers
"Prudence" - a beautiful white calf I raised for a friend of Dad's
and more but I can't recall their names.

Good times. Great memories. I can't wait until my kids get to make some of these kind of memories. Bucket calves and bum lambs should be part of every kid's life.

No comments: