Thursday, January 31, 2013

January's Joys

I jumped on a bandwagon this month.  It's one of the good ones so no one worry.  Over at www.aholyexperience.com I found a great idea called Joy Dare.  It dares you to count over 1000 joys this year.  I decided that is just what this mommy needed to do as her New Year's resolution.  I still have my gratitude journal which I am keeping separate from this Joy Dare.  To make myself accountable I am going to post my Joy Dare gifts for the month on the last day of the month if possible.  At first I thought I should just keep these to myself.  As I pondered that I felt like God had given me these gifts and He didn't mean for them to just be mine.  They bring joy to me and maybe they will bring joy to you.  Hopefully at least a smile or two.

January's Joys, Gifts, Blessings....

1-1-2013 - 3 gifts heard
1. sound of old-time radio shows on the i-Pod
2. laughter of six wonderful children
3. the hum of my own fan after a vacation

1-2-2013
a gift outside - snowflakes that fall like baby powder and sparkle like glitter
a gift inside - laundry folded right away
a gift on a plate - pasties from Michigan

1-3-2013 - 3 graces overheard
1. polite children asking "Please pass the ketchup," at suppertime
2. Brech Earl telling his daddy "Thank you for hanging pictures and shelves."
3. Blase telling Brech he could play with the Star Wars Legos

1-4-2013
a gift old - Dad's warm wool shirt (the grey, brown, white one)
a gift new - family history book from Lacy
a gift blue - Dove chocolate (blue wrappers)

1-5-2013
something I'm reading - books from Linda
something I'm making - Paul's curtains
something I'm seeing - blog posts

1-6-2013
one thing in my bag - finished cross stitched project
one thing in my fridge - Darren's smoked salmon dip
one thing on my heart - family in South Dakota

1-7-2013 - 3 graces from people you love
1. reading old birthday and anniversary cards from Darren
2. hugs and kisses from Brech Earl "No one loves me" " No one loves me either" "I love you, Mom" " I love you Brech Earl"
3. polite, sharing boys when Mom is sick

1-8-2013
dusty light - waking without a harsh cough
surprising reflection - Blase can make lunch from start to finish
lovely shadow - two little kids running down the hall, one is Batman the other is Batgirl

1-9-2013
a gift held - a Kindle book during our first quiet time of the year
a gift passed by - walked by Gianna who was tearing small pieces of Kleenex off so she could wipe her babies' noses
a gift sat with - Brech Earl, green chair, Mom, quiet time, wonderful memories

1-10-2013
a gift sour - McDonald's French fries with sweet 'n sour sauce
a gift sweet - cheesecake
a gift just right - eating and conversing with other homeschool moms

1-11-2013 - 3 yellow gifts of fresh mercy
1. the blonde hair of my sweet Gianna
2. the yellow tinge the Christmas lights give the basement and tree
3. the hope of a warm spring day with the bright yellow sun to warm my thoughts this cold, blizzardy night

1-12-2013
something above - a roof provided by my dear husband, blessed by God, protected by angels, greatly appreciated by me on below zero nights
something below - my family all sleeping below above mentioned roof
something beside - a bookcase filled with prayerbooks, journals, and books that inspire the best from me

1-13-2013 - 3 things about yourself you are grateful for
1. thoughtfulness towards other
2. never give up spirit
3. faith in God's timing

1-14-2013 - 3 startling graces of God
1. The Blessed Sacrament
2. the creation of life
3. God's help during hard times

1-15-2013
a gift worn - brown scapular
a gift given away - hugs and kisses
a gift shared - reading books with the little ones

1-16-2013 - 3 witnessed blessings
1. my children's baptisms
2. my children's First Holy Communions
3. the first book read by a new reader

1-17-2013
a gift bringing laughter - my children
a gift bringing peace - rosary time as a family
a gift bringing quiet - Midnights alone to ponder the day and regroup for the next

1-18-2013 - 3 gifts from God's word
1. Love is patient (1 Cor. 13:4)
2. For where thy treasure is, there also will thy heart be. (Matt. 6:21)
3. With men it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God. (Mark 10:27)

1-19-2013 - 3 gifts that might never have been
1. Darren and I
2. homeschooling
3. Latin Mass in Fargo

1-20-2013 - 3 gifts only seen close up
1. "God bless you" from my dad
2. love in my children's eyes
3. Michigan snowfall

1-21-2013 
a gift in the sky - stars
a gift in water - bath time
a gift in memory - a beautiful family picture with ice on the trees in the background

1-22-2013
a gift wrinkled - the face of a loving grandparent
a gift smoothed - cream cheese frosting
a gift unfolded - a letter to my newborn child written by me and reread years later

1-23-2013 - 3 gifts found in Christ
1. love
2. mercy
3. hope

1-24-2013 - 3 things blue
1. newborn boy clothes
2. Our Lady in her finest
3. the eyes of my children

1-25-2013
a grace borrowed - wisdom of my dad
a grace found - trust in God's mercy
a grace inherited - love of a family

1-26-2013
a gift before dawn - no children with nightmares
a gift at noon - chapter a day as a family
a gift after dark - silence

1-27-2013 - 3 gifts found in the kitchen
1. aloe vera plant showing signs of life
2. dishwasher loaded and unloaded by kids
3. cookbooks full of endless possibilities

1-28-2013 - 3 graces found in friends
1. humor
2. advice
3. patience through a venting session

1-29-2013
a song heard - Brech Earl repeatedly singing the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song and yet it brings a smile to my face
a soft word - Gianna's "Please" that sounds more like "Peas", usually whispered with a smile
a light seen - sun dogs always impress me

1-30-2013 - 3 old things seen new
1. a recently rediscovered holy card given to my great-grandma by two of her daughters
2. a dusted off, tuned, and still amazing violin that belonged to great-grandpa
3. the love of my husband

1-31-2013 
a gift on a paper - valentine from Darren
a gift in a person - my mom's strong faith
a gift in a picture - our last Bestgen family picture with Mark to show when we were all together and the first Bestgen family picture without Mark to show we are still together, stronger than ever


want to join the dare??
https://s3.amazonaws.com/a.voskamp/JoyDareCollection.pdf

1 comment:

MiniMozarts said...

I had never heard of this. I will begin today. I need something like this RIGHT NOW. I've been such a grump this winter and we are only half way through. Thanks for sharing!