Monday, April 6, 2009

Lapbooking

I just finished listening to a preview chat for Ultimate Homeschool Expo 2009 hosted by Cindy Rushton. If you homeschool and you haven't looked up Cindy Rushton...you are missing out! Tonight's preview was about lapbooking and it was given by Tammy Duby from Tobin's Lab.

The boys and I have been doing lapbooks for a couple years now. I have used lapbooks for science, history, geography and literature. Sometimes I use ones that I have bought and sometimes I create my own. Tonight's session inspired me to take lapbooking a step further. In the past I have pretty much made a schedule and stuck to it. We worked on lapbooks based on what I thought would be interesting for them to learn, plus a few thrown in that they requested. Starting next year I'm going to attempt a more "go where the wind takes us" outlook. I can't wait to see what we end up learning about.

I am actually printing out two sets of lapbooks right now. One is about volcanoes and the other about pirates. I will be teaching both of them to the boys and my younger brothers and sisters when we are back in South Dakota. I have to admit, I get just as excited about them as the kids do. I am certain I have learned more using lapbooks than I did in some of my high school textbooks.

No comments: