Thursday, May 7, 2009

Borrowed

I just quickly wrote this for some "homework" on another website. Thought it was nice, so I'm posting it here as well. Nothing beats just type and see what happens.

My boys are still somewhat little, but I have always stressed that they should be best friends with their brothers (and sisters if God so wishes to bless us with some girls). Just recently I was talking with my 6 year old about my brother Mark (age 16) who died last year. He asked if Mark was my friend and I said yes he was one of my best friends. He couldn't understand how my brother could be my friend and a brother at the same time. It made me stop and think that when I was his age (6) I didn't think my brothers were my friends at all. In fact, they were the most annoy things in the whole world and why did I even have to like them. :) I know now that my siblings are some of my best friends because of the foundation my parents gave us. Dad used to say, your siblings will be there for you when no one else will and its true. I think every little fight, every little secret and every amazing game we played helped us to develop that friendship without us knowing it. That is what I want for my boys.

I want the baseball games where there are no rules. I want the popcorn and movie every Sunday night. I want the club house made out of every blanket in the house. I want the chairs arranged in the livingroom like a bus or a train when I'm sweeping the diningroom floor. I want them to share bedrooms and share toys. I want them to share secrets and fears with each other. Oh my I even want those fights over the blue airplane that everyone thinks they got for Christmas (who did get it anyway??). I want memories for my boys that they can take into their adulthood. I want my words "Your brothers will be your best friends someday!" to echo in their heads. I want to hear my boys say "Thank you Mom for the memories and letting us be kids!" when they get older.

Foundation in our family = God and family, together all things are possible

No comments: