Monday, May 25, 2009

Freedom's Debt

You shouldn't celebrate today without thinking about the cost of freedom. I have begun to think the men and women (and way back when - young boys) who paid for freedom with their lives are being cheated out of the respect they deserve. Remembering them doesn't just include flying an American flag, putting flowers on their graves and attending social functions geared towards their remembrance. While these things are WONDERFUL and quite honorable of you to do...I think it goes a bit deeper.

It is our God-given responsibility to live up to our full potential every minute of our day. This is something most of us are aware of. Let me assure you that I have fallen short of that expectation numerous times a day, everyday. This weekend is the first time I have pondered what debt I have accrued for MY freedom. What do I owe those people who died for MY freedom.

In wondering of that, I had to stop and think exactly what freedoms I have. Some of the freedoms are very obvious - right to free speech (thus a blog) and freedom of worship. Some were not so obvious - like the right to homeschool my children or the right to wear what I want (like long skirts). Others include the freedom to grow a garden for my family, freedom to have children and freedom to stop the filth from invading my home in any form. The list could go on and on and on.

These freedoms are laced through my entire day and being. I wouldn't be who I am today without these freedoms. The debt I owe is HIGH and EVERLASTING. If I plan on living like this, I have obligations to fulfill. It wasn't surprising to me to realize that what I owe for my freedom is the same as what I owe to God for the gift of life. I owe only one thing - my full potential at every moment. To squander my talents or waste my time would be a slap in freedom's face. (ohhh, pondering - blogging waste of time?? hummm)

I do believe that I must ensure that my children know what price was paid for freedom. I plan to show them day by day through my actions and words. It really isn't hard to pay MY debt by action but I have remember to tell them that it was by the death of others, the sacrifice of their families and the love of our Maker that we have the freedoms and blessings of today. We must also take it a step further and realize it is OUR job to secure the freedoms of tomorrow. Freedom of LIFE at all AGES must be our NUMBER ONE priority. When the value of money and worldly possessions (in all forms) are put before the value of life - we as a people, as a nation, as individuals will pay the price in due time.

Fighting for freedom comes at all times, in all situations. Hear the call to battle - defend your position of truth - live and die with honor!

No comments: