Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sad for Those Being Left Behind

I am selfishly sitting here posting on my blog while my parents and other family members are keeping a bedside vigil for my Grandma Bestgen.  She is on her way to life everlasting.  She has lived such a long, beautiful life.  She will tell you that there are 145 in her family, though I'm sure the rest of us have lost count.  That number alone tells you what kind of legacy she is leaving behind.  I found a quote by St. Francis of Assisi that fits her beautifully.


Remember that when you leave this earth you can take nothing of what you have received, but only what you have given: a full heart, enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage.


I said my good-byes to Grandma when I was in South Dakota last time knowing that it may be my last chance.  What a blessing to be able to have peace in my heart about her death.  She is on her way to such rewards in heaven. As Jesus said in John 14:1-3 "Let not your heart be troubled.  You believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father's house there are many mansions.  Were it not so, I should have told you, because I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again, and I will take you to myself; that where I am, there you also may be."  Her place in heaven is waiting for her with grandsons ready to show her the way.

I grieve not so much for the loss of Grandma, but grieve for those that are left behind.  So many of the 145 of us will feel her loss in our daily lives.  She very much had an active part in all of our lives from sending birthday cards to attending recitals to always taking time to visit when we stopped in.  If you pray for my grandma, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Please remember the rest of the family as well.  Prayer does help.

I am not worried though.

Our family is like a building of bricks and Grandma and Grandpa are the mortar holding us together.  The building was built on a strong foundation of love and faith.  There are support beams of trust, honesty, helping hands, strong shoulders to cry on, laughter, and deep-rooted traditions woven between every brick.  Grandma and Grandpa did such a great job of establishing those support beams that our family building will never fall down.  I would even venture to say that we will only become stronger and our building taller as time goes on.

To quote Christopher Robin (who isn't as special as St. Francis of Assisi, but carries just as much authority in this house of boys)...who says to Winnie the Pooh...

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.” 

Grandma will always be with us.  The things she taught us and the words she spoke to us will always remain in our hearts.  We will gather courage from her accomplishments, strength from her examples, and wisdom from her simple loving ways.  One life that impacted many.  She truly is taking with her a full heart and leaving behind hundreds of hearts she has filled up.

God bless you Grandma Bestgen.  I love you.  I will miss you.  Pray for us.  And say Hi to Mark for me.

No comments: