Saturday, July 20, 2013

Garden Update July 2013

Darren finished the fence around the garden complete with a door next to the garden shed.  The white chair is my throne from which I command my minions.  I think I have only sat in it once, when there were no minions helping. 
 This is the pumpkins, squash, and watermelon section - with the sunflowers in the background.
 Potatoes, some of the peppers, lettuce (which you can't see because I pulled all the tops off), green beans, and carrots just on the far edge of the rows.
 This is the carrots (again), more peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers in the farthest point of the garden (climbing on the fence panel).
My 4 big helpers who put in three long hours today and finished weeding the garden.  I'm so pleased with them tonight.  I have rewarded them with ice cream bars, Kindle game time (based on the work they did), and possibly a movie on the computer tonight.  As a side note - aren't those sunflowers getting tall?  

I pulled all the peas today as they are past their point of usefulness.  I also pulled all the spinach that was not growing very well.  The lettuce was growing too well and was past the point of tasting remotely worth the effort.  We picked half a grocery bag of green beans, 5 cucumbers, and 2 cherry tomatoes.  What few of the peas that were worth eating were gone before we were done weeding.  Overall, a very nice afternoon.

No comments: