Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent 2013 - Day 1

The First Week of Advent
 THE LORD SHALL COME
One purple candle

This year for Advent we are doing something new to us.  I have seen this idea floating around the internet and heard about it last year from a good friend of mine.  
 We are unwrapping one book a day for all of Advent.  These are books about Christmas or the Christmas season (not all religious) that I had on the bookshelves.  I only had to purchase three books to make the full twenty-five count for Advent and Christmas day.  I am hoping the kids will enjoy this as much as I am looking forward to spending a little time each day reading to them and preparing for Jesus' birthday.
 Today was Gianna's day to unwrap the book.
 Today's book is Christmas ABC.
This is a delightful book published in 1944 by The Guild Associates.  It is very small, but full of wonderful short rhyming verses.  Here's are two examples:

J is for Jesus- 
The best name on earth.
Today we remember
The day of His birth.

Y is for You,
Little girl, little boy,
May your Christmas be merry
And all filled with joy!

What a sweet way to start our Advent.

 You know that I can't just do something simple.  We are also adding one nativity picture magnet to our Advent calendar.  On top of that, I picked an activity for us to do each day.  Today's activity was to start a paper prayer chain with the names of our family and friends to put on the Christmas tree.

No Advent is complete without the chocolate Advent calendars.  Yummy!!

I hope this plan will help us to Keep Christ In Christmas!

No comments: