Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Advent 2013 - Days 10 & 11

Advent 2013 - Day 10
 This sweet book was yesterday's wrapped book.  It is a story about St. Nicholas told by Santa Claus to a young boy named Nicholas.  I think my boys could relate to the young boy's unspoken question of "Is Santa Claus real?"
 Santa Claus shared the story of how Saint Nicholas spent his life teaching children about Jesus.  It gave a brief story of St. Nicholas's life and death.  It also talked about how Saint Nicholas brings the love of Jesus to all who celebrate Jesus' birthday.
 The young boy, Nicholas, falls asleep dreaming of Jesus' love and of sugarplums of course.

Yesterday's fun activity was to write a letter or color a picture to send to everyone's Godparents.  Some of the kids (like Stephen, Cormac, and Gianna) are lucky and have Godparents who are married to each other.  One letter covers both. The others don't get it as easy.  Blase and Rex each wrote two letters, while Brech colored two pictures.  His pictures weren't as Christmasy I had hoped.  It was just an accomplishment to get him to sit down and color when he'd rather be doing anything else at that moment.

Advent 2013 - Day 11
 Bear Stays Up for Christmas
Ok, so this series of books (in no particular order) are among my FAVORITE newer books.  I love the stories, the characters, and the fact that it rhymes.  Oh, yah, I also like the fact that when I read it out loud I can change the voices of the characters.  Badger always has a certain hillbilly accent while Wren is high pitched.  Mouse is soft-spoken and on and on.
 This story is about how Bear, being a hibernating sort, is tired on Christmas Eve.  His friends try to keep him awake by keeping him busy.  They find a tree, decorate it, make some food, and prepare for Christmas Day.  Bear tries his very best to stay awake.
 Towards the end of the story his friends are getting tired and end up falling asleep.  Sweet friend Bear stays up all night long making presents for his dear friends.  He is working so hard he does not notice that Santa Claus has brought presents, including a bear-sized quilt.
 His friends wake up to find a wonderful Christmas morning with presents from Bear.  At this point, Bear has had all he can handle and quickly drifts off to sleep with his new quilt.
 Today's fun activity was to have another Winter Craft Day.  Today's craft was to make snowflakes.  You'd think we would have done this before, but it has been YEARS since we have, if we ever have.  Gianna had way too much fun being in control of the glitter stick.
 Brech, and everyone but Blase, had me cut out the shapes they wanted where they wanted them.  I didn't mind one bit as that meant all the pieces of coffee filter stayed ON the table in a neat pile.
 Brech did decorate his snowflake with glitter, mostly by himself.  It got a little scary there when the bottle was upside down.  "That's ENOUGH, Brech!'
 Rex wasn't as thrilled to be making a snowflake as I would have expected.  He did enjoy using the glitter stick to make a big pile here and there that his mother so gladly helped spread out when he couldn't figure out how.
 Cormac's snowflake was very fun to help with.
 He also enjoyed using the glitter stick.  After having seen my reaction to Rex's over-use of the glitter stick - Cormac decided he'd like to watch his mother freak out too.  These boys are going to give me white hair yet!
 Blase's snowflake - and this is all the proof you will get that it was his.  ;-)
 "Eye" see you, Stephen!
I was happy to receive my new nativity scene piece in the mail today.  Darren buys me one new piece of my choice every year for our anniversary.  He bought me a starter nativity scene with the stable, Holy Family, and Wise Men for a wedding present.  He knew how much I wanted a nativity set I could leave out all year long.  My set has a permanent place on top of the TV cabinet at the moment.  I need to invest in a few more buildings as I have plenty of people at this point.

No comments: