Thursday, December 12, 2013

Advent 2013 - Day 12

Advent 2013 - Day 12
Happy Our Lady of Guadalupe's Day!!
Today's book was Saint Francis and the Christmas Donkey. 
This book was about St. Francis telling the story of the first donkey to a donkey. 
 The first donkey made fun of other animals and thought he was the most handsomest animal of all.  The other animals were tired of hearing him act like that so they pulled his ears and tail to make them ugly.  God was not pleased with the animals or the donkey.  He punished the donkey by making him only laugh with an ugly sounding laugh.  He was to carry the heavy loads and do the hardest work for the rest of time.
 St. Francis then told how one very tired donkey carried Mary and her unborn Son.  That was a great gift the donkey had given to the Newborn King and His Mother.  

The story itself was good, but the ending was just odd.  I felt the book sort of dropped off without a true ending.  It ends with St. Francis saying how the Christmas donkey was very happy. Then he and the donkey he was talking to walk out of the woods and look at a brightly shining star.  The end.  Seriously...the end.  I would have expected they would have had a conversation at the end about how the Christmas donkey had done a great thing and how the other donkey should be happy too.  Nope, just the end.

Today is Our Lady of Guadalupe's feast day.
 I put together a quick tea for the kids. 
 (See what happens in 30 minutes when I'm motivated!)
 We had chicken salad sandwiches, little candy bars, and I gave up my last 4 Kudos bars I had been hoarding.  I mixed up some pineapple juice with cranberry apple juice and called it good.  Then I got out the Our Lady of Guadalupe table cloth and called the kids up for the surprise.
 While we ate we watched the Juan Diego cartoon.
 I even got out my precious container of tea for the day.  Stephen had been asking if he could have some.  Gianna, Stephen, and I had this tea, while Cormac had an apple tea.
 Then the kids colored a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe and some roses.
 I cut out the roses and they glued them on to the page wherever they wanted.
 Stephen's finished page ('cause he never gets to put anything up on the blog).
 Rex's wonderfully colored picture and roses!

The only other thing of excitement today was the fact that Gianna dressed herself today.  She is wearing blue jeans, a Minnie Mouse skirt, and a dress that is actually on backwards.  She wouldn't let me take any of it off and she wasn't about to change.  Little girls and their fashion sense!

No comments: